Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Some things

Last Saturday Steph and I met up with a couple of our vegan friends in Oakland. They wanted to take us to Souley Vegan near Jack London square. The very idea of soul fod made vegan is so ridiculous. So ridiculous it just might work. We ordered a mélange of soul food staples, veganized. Ok firstly, some of the basic ingredients to really good soul food dishes are butter, lard, and bacon so already we're running into some issues with this idea. Anyway steph and I ordered gluttonous amounts of food because we had to try as much as we could. We ended up with corn bread, collard greens, lentils, chicken fried tofu, BBQ tofu, mac n cheese-like sauce, and French fries and I chased it with a cayenne lemonade. Phew! It was a bit sad having to wait like 45 minutes to get our food. Oh well it was Actually good. I dont normally consider vegan food to be super yummy but I hold to a basic tenet that highly seasoned and deep fried foods will always be delicious and this place was putting on a clinic in this regard. I'll for Shiz go back, with vegans.

On Monday night my buddy alex and I went to see fever ray. It was a bit of an odyssey. One thing I am a complete failure at is prepurchasing tickets for concerts. I fail at this because I am terrible at judging whether a show will sell out or not. In this case I figured I'd just stroll up to the door and buy tickets. Oops! It was well sold out. But as luck would have it we were able to buy scalper tickets. The show was just epic! The lighting scheme was amazing. They used some very low lit Victorian era lamps and some lasers. You really couldn't see the band except for their silhouettes. Also, bonus, no encore. I hate encores. I just hate them.

I just got a sweet haircut.











Wherever you go, there you are


No comments: